K-1 Fiancée Visas

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Attorney in San Jose

Are you hoping to bring your fiancé(e) to the United States? As a citizen of the United States, you may be able to sponsor your foreign-citizen fiancé(e) for a visa to enter the United States, marry you, and then apply to adjust their status to lawful permanent residence.

You must take several steps before your fiancé(e) can obtain a K-1 visa. The process requires an in-depth understanding of the law and regulations as interpreted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and Department of State (DOS). At the Law Offices of Timothy D. Widman, our San Jose K-1 visa attorney can walk you through each step of the application process. With more than 20 years of experience, Attorney Widman possesses the skills needed to give your application the highest possible likelihood of success.

Call our office at (408) 780-1684 or fill out our online contact form to schedule your initial consultation today.

How to Qualify for a K-1 Visa

To successfully petition for your foreign-citizen fiancé(e), you must meet the following requirements:

  • You are a citizen of the United States;
  • You and your fiancé(e) intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the county;
  • You and your fiancé(e) are legally able and free to marry; and
  • You met your fiancé(e) in person at least once in the last two years (with certain exceptions).

After the visa is issued, your fiancé(e) will be able to enter the country as a K-1 nonimmigrant, and you and your fiancé(e) must marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e)'s arrival in the United States. Once married, your new spouse can apply for permanent residence (a green card). If you fail to marry within 90 days, the visa will expire, and your fiancé(e) will begin to accumulate unlawful presence. This will likely prevent them from qualifying for lawful status in the future.

What is the Difference Between a Fiancé Visa and a Marriage Visa?

The fiancé visa or K-1 is a nonimmigrant visa for fiancés of U.S. citizens who live outside the United States. They must also intend to get married within 90 days of arrival in the United States. Marriage visas or CR-1 or IR-1 visas are immigrant visas. These allow a foreign spouse of a U.S. citizen to immigrate to the U.S. To be eligible, your and your spouse must be able to prove that:

  • You are legally married.
  • Your marriage is bona fide and real.
  • The petitioning spouse has U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident status.
  • Neither of you is married to anyone else.

Experienced Representation Through the Process

Our lawyer has decades of experience providing trustworthy services to those looking to bring their loved ones to the United States. He can represent you competently and ethically throughout the petition process and guide you with sensitivity and compassion along the journey of obtaining a K-1 visa for your fiancé(e). You can expect responsive, accessible, and personalized services from beginning to end.

Schedule your case evaluation by calling (408) 780-1684 or contacting us online today.

  • “He always responded quickly to emails and kept us in the loop and feeling like he was always there for us during the entire process.”
  • “His willingness to listen and communication skills are very great.”
  • “He is highly intelligent, meticulous, thorough, and best of all takes a very personal, involved, and caring approach when handling your case.”