Citizenship & Naturalization
Naturalization & Citizenship Lawyer in San Jose
Qualifications for Becoming a United States Citizen
Living in the United States as a temporary resident, permanent resident, refugee, or any other non-citizen may be only the beginning of your time here. After spending the requisite number of years here, you may wish to pursue citizenship and experience all of its invaluable benefits.
What is Naturalization?
The process of becoming a U.S. citizen is called naturalization. It is granted to a lawful permanent resident who meets the requirements established in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
What are U.S. Citizenship Requirements?
To become a citizen, you must:
- Have lived in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least 5 years and been physically present during the majority of that time (except in special circumstances allowing naturalization after only 3 years of continuous residence)
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Demonstrate good moral character
- Demonstrate your ability to speak, read, and write in English
- Pass an exam on United States history and government
- Take what is known as an “oath of allegiance”
Our San Jose Naturalization and Citizenship Lawyers
At the Law Offices of Timothy D. Widman, our attorney has over two decades of experience helping clients with every step of their immigration journeys. You can benefit from one-on-one attention from Attorney Widman from beginning to end, and you can trust him to stay fully up to date regarding changes to current immigration laws and policies.
What are the Benefits of U.S. Citizenship?
There are a number of reasons to become a U.S. citizen, including:
- More options for sponsoring family members
- Permanent protection against deportation
- The right to vote, run for office, and otherwise participate in government
- The ability to travel abroad without jeopardizing your status
- Access to employment opportunities and public assistance options that aren’t available to green card holders
These are just a handful of the benefits you can experience if you successfully complete the naturalization process, and Attorney Widman is fully prepared to help you accomplish this goal. Sometimes, the citizenship process involves complications and challenges that you cannot resolve on your own. This is why it is essential to retain the support of our highly experienced San Jose citizenship attorney.
Why the Law Offices of Timothy D. Widman?
Attorney Widman has served many clients in your exact situation, and he is more than prepared to help you do everything possible to work toward becoming a citizen of the United States. We know how daunting and complicated the immigration process can get, and we aim to do everything in our power to make it easier for you. With our attorney in your corner, you will have a decided advantage in the process of applying for U.S. citizenship.
“He always responded quickly to emails and kept us in the loop and feeling like he was always there for us during the entire process.”
“His willingness to listen and communication skills are very great.”
“He is highly intelligent, meticulous, thorough, and best of all takes a very personal, involved, and caring approach when handling your case.”