Green Card Permanent Residence

Applying for a Green Card

Need Help Obtaining Permanent Residence? Call Today!

Having a green card means that you have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence. Lawful permanent residence, which differs from citizenship, is acquired when a person first enters the United States using an immigrant visa issued by a U.S. consulate or adjusts their status within the United States.

When you come to the Law Offices of Timothy D. Widman for help, you will be working with a Cupertino immigration attorney who has substantial experience assisting individuals with the process of applying for green cards. Attorney Widman has more than 20 years of legal experience and can assist you with every aspect of the process.

Whether you represent a corporation petitioning for a foreign employee or you are hoping to reunite your loved ones from abroad, you can take the first step by submitting our online contact form or calling (408) 780-1684 today.

What You Need to Know About Lawful Permanent Resident Status

A lawful permanent resident has the status of living and working in the United States indefinitely as an immigrant. However, they can still face deportation for serious crimes and other issues. Furthermore, while a green card holder can travel internationally, they may have trouble reentering the country if they leave for more than a year and appear to have abandoned their residence in the United States.

You may be able to obtain a green card through one of the following categories:

Depending on your location when you apply, you may obtain permanent residence through adjustment of status (if you are already in the U.S. lawfully) or consular processing (if you are applying from another country).

Why Apply for a Green Card?

The first and most obvious benefit of becoming a lawful permanent resident is that you will be permitted to remain in the United States indefinitely. You will also have the right to work, and you will most likely not face any restrictions on where you may live or the type of occupation you maintain. You may also help your spouse and children obtain immigrant visas so they can join you in the United States.

Permanent residence also allows you to apply for federal public benefits through Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, and Medicare, provided you are otherwise eligible for these programs. Furthermore, you may be able to attend public school, join the military, and even obtain a driver's license. Overall, you will be able to enjoy most of the rights and benefits that come with being an American, and, after either 3-5 years, you may be eligible for naturalization.

Talk with Our Cupertino Immigration Lawyer Today

Ready to learn more about your options for immigrating to the U.S.? Out attorney at the Law Offices of Timothy D. Widman can review your situation and help you determine if applying for a green card is the right step. Once you have your green card, our attorney can help you pursue citizenship if that is your end goal. Whatever the case, make sure you have trusted legal counsel by your side throughout the process.

Call our Cupertino attorney at (408) 780-1684 or contact the firm online to get the help you deserve!

  • “He always responded quickly to emails and kept us in the loop and feeling like he was always there for us during the entire process.”
  • “His willingness to listen and communication skills are very great.”
  • “He is highly intelligent, meticulous, thorough, and best of all takes a very personal, involved, and caring approach when handling your case.”