Green Card Renewal

Green Card Renewal Attorney in Cupertino

When Your Permanent Residence Is About to Expire

The green card (Form I-551) is evidence of your status as a lawful permanent resident. Most green cards expire every ten years, meaning that you will have to apply for a new I-551 as long as you wish to remain a permanent resident. To apply for a new card, you will use Form I-90.

If you have a conditional green card (which is given to investor immigrants and newly married immigrants), you will need to apply to remove the conditions on your permanent residence after two years. So long as you still qualify for permanent residence, you will then receive a regular green card, which will need to be renewed every ten years.

If you become a citizen through the naturalization process, you will no longer need to renew your status.

The Consequences of a Lost or Expired Green Card

If your 10-year green card is set to expire within the next six months or has already expired, it is vital that you take immediate action to obtain a new one. You are required by law to carry a valid green card with you at all times. You may need to show it to immigration or law enforcement officials, and you will need it to provide proof of your eligibility to work and receive federal public benefits. If your green card has expired, you won’t be able to obtain these benefits, and you may be at risk of deportation.

Replacing a lost or expiring card typically takes several months, which is why filing Form I-90 on time is critical. You will likely need to renew your green card even if you have applied for citizenship through naturalization and you have not yet been approved. Addressing an expiring green card now can potentially save you a significant amount of time and difficulty down the road.

How Our Santa Clara County Lawyer Can Help

Our attorney at the Law Offices of Timothy D. Widman can help you with every step of the green card renewal process. He is here to answer all your questions and help you accomplish both your short-term and long-term goals.

Contact our firm online or call (408) 780-1684 to begin your green card renewal process today.

Clients Tell their Stories

  • He guides you through everything and makes everything straightforward [as to] what is needed and what is required.

    “Excellent service [,] he'll help you [from] day one all the way until your case is complete. He guides you through everything and makes everything straightforward [as to] what is needed and what is ...”

  • I honestly could not have done it without you. I appreciate the time you gave me.

    “Where do I begin?! THANK YOU!!! Thank you so much for all your advice and assistance. I am not sure if you realize how much you helped me during the months of November-January. I honestly could not ...”

  • I very much appreciate your guidance as does everyone in the office.

    “I want to express my sincere appreciation for your efforts and help with [name redacted]'s situation. Thank you for helping [name of organization redacted]. I very much appreciate your guidance as ...”

  • Thanks to Mr. Widman I now have the opportunity to do the things I could not have done before and I am very excited about that.

    “I found Mr. Widman through a website that had many other lawyers around my area. I decided to contact him because he had excellent reviews. I was applying for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals ...”

  • We thank our lucky stars that we had this attorney to work with and to guide us through the intimidating process of adjustment to permanent residency.

    “My wife and I had a 100% positive experience working with our attorney, Tim Widman, who was very supportive and motivational during the process of filing the I-485, application to adjust for permanent ...”


Results that Speak for Themselves

  • Contributed numerous hours of pro bono services to local, community-based organizations
  • Persuaded U.S. Department of State to withdraw its finding of inadmissibility
  • Persuaded USCIS to retract notice of rescission of adjustment of status and to approve related citizenship application
  • Secured certification of helpfulness to law enforcement for U visa petitioner
  • Secured multiple grants of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • Secured post-conviction relief in state court which became basis for successfully terminating removal proceedings.
  • Successfully moved to reopen (Form I-290B) USCIS denial of application of Form I-485
  • Successfully obtained approval of employment-based adjustment of status application under AC21
  • Successfully obtained H-1B petition approval for change of employer and extension of status under AC21
  • Successfully obtained I-601 waivers of inadmissibility

Put 20 Years of Experience to Work for Your Case

Contact Us Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.