L-1 Intracompany Transferees

L-1 Visa Lawyer in San Jose

Representing Intracompany Transferees & Their Employers

The L-1A nonimmigrant classification enables a U.S. employer to transfer an executive or manager from a foreign office to an office in the United States. In some cases, this transfer facilitates the development of an entirely new location.

At the Law Offices of Timothy D. Widman, our L-1 visa attorney provides legal services in San Jose and surrounding areas. With 20+ years of experience, Attorney Widman can assist you with every aspect of the L-1 visa process. Obtaining a nonimmigrant visa can be a serious challenge even if you possess all requisite qualifications, but we are here to alleviate your stress and provide the knowledge you need to succeed.

To learn more, give our office a call at (408) 780-1684 or contact us online today.

Obtaining L-1 Status

In order for an employee to obtain an L-1 visa, both the employee and the employer must meet certain qualifications.

The employer:

  • Must have a qualifying relationship with a foreign company; and
  • Is currently or will be doing business as an employer in the United States and at least one other country (either directly or through a qualifying organization) for as long as the prospective visa recipient will stay in the U.S.

The employee:

  • Must have been working for a qualifying organization abroad for one of the last three years; and
  • Must enter the U.S. to perform managerial or executive services for the same employer or one of its qualifying organizations.

For the purposes of this visa, “managerial” generally involves the supervision and control of professional employees and a function, section, or component of the organization. “Executive” refers to the employee’s ability to make major decisions with little oversight.

The L-1 visa allows the employee to stay in the U.S. for an initial period of one year, but this may be extended in increments of two years each (up to a maximum of seven). An L-1 visa holder may eventually be able to obtain a green card.

Get Started on Your L-1 Visa Process Today

For more details, we urge you to get in touch with Attorney Widman. With decades of experience, he has the knowledge needed to comprehensively answer your questions and guide you through this process from beginning to end.

You can reach Attorney Widman today by calling (408) 780-1684 or reaching out to our firm online. We look forward to helping you advance your career or accomplish your business goals.

  • “He always responded quickly to emails and kept us in the loop and feeling like he was always there for us during the entire process.”
  • “His willingness to listen and communication skills are very great.”
  • “He is highly intelligent, meticulous, thorough, and best of all takes a very personal, involved, and caring approach when handling your case.”